Friday, 26 September 2008
It's Sugar High Friday and I am feeling particularly sweet and ever-so high since I started my spiffy new job earlier this week.
In celebration, I think it's time to break out the cakes. Cupcakes that is!!!
And how convenient, since the Sugar High Friday theme this month is cupcakes!
Happily, I have now converted my dislike of grapefruit into a contented affection. Like many other food items (asparagus, oysters, olives, brussel sprouts), through sheer force of will, I have made myself like grapefruit, especially in a sweet context.
So in honour of my newfound citrus friend and my brilliant new job, I give you:
Pink Grapefruit Syrup Cupcakes
Based on recipe from Australian Gourmet Traveller. Makes 12.
140gm butter, softened
160gm caster sugar
Finely grated rind of ½ pink grapefruit
290gm self-raising flour, sieved
200gm caster sugar
150ml pink grapefruit juice
Rind of ½ pink grapefruit, thinly removed with vegetable peeler
1. For syrup, using a small knife, remove as much pith as possible from rind and discard.
2. Tear rind into thin strips, blanch in boiling water, drain.
3. Combine with remaining ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil and cook over high heat until rind is translucent (1-2 minutes). Cool.
4. Preheat oven to 170’C.
5. To make cupcakes, beat butter, sugar and grapefruit rind in an electric mixer until pale and creamy.
6. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
7. Next add flour and milk and beat until smooth.
8. Divide among 12 muffin tips, greased and lined with cupcake holders.
9. Bake until golden and centre springs back when lightly pressed (25-30 minutes).
10. Cool for 10 minutes in moulds, then turn onto a wire rack placed over a tray.
11. Using a skewer, pierce a few holes in tops of cakes. Drizzle with syrup while still warm
12. Decorate with strips of rind and serve immediately.
I have made some other interesting cupcakes since I started this blog, so feel free to check these out too:
Glacé Apricot, Chocolate & Poppy Seed Cupcakes
Ricotta, Strawberry & Choc-Chip Muffins
Yoghurt & Orange Blossom Cupcakes
Or better still, check out the extensive cupcake SHF round-up by Fanny from Foodbeam.
Tags: morsels and musings food blog food and drink australia recipes dessert cakes citrus grapefruit cupcakes dessert recipes cake recipes citrus recipes grapefruit recipes cupcake recipes