Saturday 3 May 2008

zucchini breakfast bake

I’ve been a bad blogger this week.

Jonas’ restaurant has been going through a terribly slow period so he’s been home every night. This means I spend time with him rather than blogging or taking my chub to the gym.

Naughty, naughty.

I have yet to share with you all the amazing cooking class I experienced last week with Sydney’s gateaux darling, Adriano Zumbo, and I have a backlog of pickles and preserves to blog about after a weekend of domestic bliss.

In the meantime I bring you one of my favourite breakfast creations, a happy accident that came alive after throwing the scant ingredients from the fridge into the oven.

This dish doesn’t have to be eaten at breakfast. It could be a great entrée (starter for the Americans), a side dish to your main course or even a light dinner served with a side salad and some crusty bread.

But I like it for breakfast: warm, soft, cheesy and gentle flavours reminiscent of Greek cooking.

Zucchini, Mint & Feta Bake
Anna’s very own recipe. Serves 2-4.
Ingredients:
2 large zucchini, coarsely grated
4 eggs
150g feta, crumbled
4 tablespoons yoghurt
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint
¼ cup parmigiano, finely grated
Pepper, freshly ground
Olive oil, for frying
Method:
1. Preheat oven to 180’C.
2. Heat the olive oil then fry the garlic until soft.
3. Add the zucchini and fry until soft and it has shrunk in size and released some of its moisture.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs then add the yoghurt and whisk to combine.
5. Add the zucchini and garlic mixture and stir thoroughly, then add the mint and feta and stir again.
6. Pour into a medium baking dish (or two ramekins) and bake for 20 minutes or until mixture is set and starting to separate from the sides. Do not let it brown and go dry, but you can decide whether you want it slightly runny or firm.
7. Top with grated parmigiano and return to oven for another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

That's my contribution to Weekend Herb Blogging this week. Usually I provide a rundown on my key ingredient, but I've already written about zucchini before so if you're interested you should follow that link.

The WHB host this week is the beautiful Anh of Food Lover's Journey. Be sure to visit her recap.
Tags:

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, I want to make this right now. It sounds like something I would love. I do have some mint in my garden, but no zucchini for a long time still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very tempting. I will not have it for breakfast but I will definetly try it for a quick lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the combination of ingredients. Sounds so mouth watering. If only the boy wasn't allergic to things like fetta :-/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails