Saturday 7 October 2006

jonas' caprese salad

Today is Jonas’ birthday.

Obviously he was meant to be in my family because Thursday was my mother’s birthday, Friday was my brother’s birthday and now Saturday is my Jonas’ birthday.

Every year I outdo myself with presents. Last year it was a full set of Global knives and once it was a weekend away in Melbourne (which got cancelled because the airline went bankrupt, but let’s not go there).

This year I have been travelling for the past two weeks and I didn’t get him anything. I looked for something but there wasn’t anything decent or exciting. Just crappity crap.

And so here I am empty handed.

It was heart breaking to see the look upon his face when he realised I wasn’t playing games and that I really didn’t have a present. I felt awful.

So Jonas, I promise I’ll get you something exciting. In the meantime here’s a tribute to you and your wonderful salad.

I love you.

Caprese Salad
Jonas’ take on an old Italian recipe. Serves 2 hungry adults.
Ingredients:
2 large, ripe tomatoes
Approx 10 cherry-sized bocconcini
1 tablespoon shredded basil
1 tablespoon (20ml) olive oil, good quality
½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Milled salt & pepper
Method:
1. Slice the tomato into fairly thin circles. Slice the bocconcini into circles.
2. Place the tomato slices on a plate, then place one or two bocconcini slices on each tomato slice.
3. Sprinkle the shredded basil over each tomato slice, then drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic.
4. Freshly mill salt and pepper over the salad and serve immediately.
Note: To avoid oxidation, shred the basil just before you make the salad. Also, use white balsamic vinegar if you do not want the darker vinegar to discolour the salad.

Tags:

4 comments:

  1. Grattis pa fodelsedagen Jonas! Hoppas att hon far tag pa nagot riktigt fint, om inte annat sa har du en hallhake pa Anna som kommer att funka i flera ar!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... Jonas. Lotsa happy birthday wishes heading your way.
    Hugs jo

    p.s. This salad is utterly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much pressure around holidays/birthdays...I'm always one stressed monkays

    ReplyDelete
  4. ilva - jonas säger tack. jag köpte en ipod till honom så han är glad nu.

    jo - thanks from jonas. the cherries and chocolate you left for him last week are wonderful.

    wheresmymind - yes, lots of pressure but it all worked out in the end with a little trip to the hi-fi store and we came home with an ipod.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails